Nationwide, 85 municipalities and regions applied for the funding measure »HyLand – Hydrogen Regions in Germany« within the framework of a competition. The selection criteria were local motivation, the feasibility of concrete concepts and suitability as a model region – a broad spectrum of municipal starting situations. The following regions are now being supported by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) in developing concepts and establishing a network of local actors:
- Rügen-Stralsund (Coastal Region/Wind Energy)
- Lausitz (Structural Change/Energy)
- Reutlingen (Industry/Automotive)
- KielRegion (Metropolitan Region/Mobility)
- Weimar and Weimarer Land/District of Marburg-Biedenkopf (Education/Knowledge Transfer)
- Ostallgäu, Fuchstal and Kaufbeuren/District of Schaumburg (Medium-Sized Regions)
- Neustadt an der Waldnaab (Border Region/European Networking)
Regional hydrogen production with electricity from renewable energies is at the centre of the concepts – the long-term use of »green« hydrogen in the regions. In addition to production, the concepts also deal with on-site storage, logistics and various hydrogen applications – primarily in the transport sector.
In the categories »HyExperts« and »HyPerformer« the competitions of the funding measure are currently still running. Regions that have already gained initial experience or want to implement existing concepts can apply by September 30th 2019.